Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A few training ideas...

I wanted to get out a few training ideas for your pups some require a little leg work so thought I'd get it out now so you have time to look into it.

First, in case you were curious about the collars for the big dogs we used in the last photo shoot, you can order custom collars for your new baby. If you are unsure of the size just order one and in instructions say you're getting a Weim puppy for me and you want it adjustable, Lynn will know how to size it for you.  http://www.collaraddict.com/  Hand made, custom collars for your beautiful new baby! I'm a huge fan, I think you will be, too!

1. Keeping pup busy and crate training. I believe crate training is seriously one of the most important training tools available to you. It helps pup stay safe when you can't watch them. It helps in potty training. It helps in "alone training" your pup. It helps them have a safe place to go when they need some serious snooze/me time. It helps YOU have some snooze/me time. Etc. To start this, I use kongs (I always get a size large or larger, pups grow and if you get the puppy sized kong often times they outgrow it before you can even really use it and then becomes a choking hazard) I slip some peanut butter or plain yogurt in and freeze it, sometimes I'll even add a little kibble to make it more challenging.  Then put pup in the crate with the treat. This keeps them busy, trains them the crate is a good place.  I still give my crated dogs a kong when I leave for work with frozen peanut butter, yogurt, etc. They beat me to their crates! :)
http://www.dog.com/item/classic-kong-rubber-dog-toy/311406/

2. Name Game!  When pup comes home we have a tendency to overuse their name, or use it to interrupt bad behavior. Instead make their names fun! Name game goes like this: For example, I'll use my dog for this.  "Logan!" (he looks) small treat. Repeated 5-10 times in a row, do this multiple times through the day. I've even fed a meal this way. Now, up the ante, but don't set them up to fail. Don't call them when they are really enjoying a nice play time, instead wait till pup looks at something else, "Logan!" when pup looks "Yes!" and give a treat. Slowly start making distractions more difficult, keep the treats flowing and then start dropping down. Only once or twice a day the name game happens. Until they know their name and it's a GOOD thing to hear their name and respond to it.  I still play the name game to this day, because I want 100% attention the first time I call them. That could one day save their life. So be sure to practice with different inflections, "Loooogan." (as if he were bad.) LOGAN!" (as if I were panicked) whispered, etc. Make it fun, make it a game and you'll have a dog that snaps to at their name, which is what we all want.

Next: not to over use it or use it negatively: For example if Logan was chewing on something inappropriate (shocking I know!): "Logan, Logan, Logan..." finally pup looks and I say, "NO, don't chew on my couch!" What did I just tell my pup? "Their name = No." Which is extremely confusing for a pup. I know it's less fun and more work but the best choice is to get up and intervene and substitute poor chewing option with a safe one (more on this in a minute). Or, just say the word "NO!" if that works.

 3.  Appropriate Chewing?! So, one of my tricks is to COVER the floor with appropriate chew/play toys making the odds of pup playing with a safe toy higher than chewing something they shouldn't (not to say they won't, just ups the odds. In fact I'd take a bet they still manage to find at least a little trouble ;) http://www.dog.com/toys/9/

4. Get puppy to puppy kindergarten! I believe socializing pups (not dog parks, I mean true socialization, learning about the world they will be in for the next many years and how to handle it and live in and cope with it.) extensively. Puppy Kindergarten maybe the single most important class or training you can do for your dog. I believe in continuing and going to intermediate and even upper level classes as well, Weims are a dog that live for a job so taking them to classes and giving them an outlet for these smarty pants (plus usually being the class super genius is always fun!)  is super important. But Kindergarten is truly the basis to everything else. If you need help finding a class PLEASE let us know.  We want you guys in class to help make your puppy an amazing dog.

5.  Socialization:  Along the same lines is socialization. Take your puppy everywhere you can that is puppy safe. Until your second vaccinations kick in, you'll want to avoid dog-heavy trafficked places. Kindergarten should be fine.  But, I have taken my dogs to all number of spots (carry papertowels and poop bags, they appreciate it :) with pockets loaded with treats! Home Depot/Lowes, do a little shopping, pup learns about weird things and places! I take my pups and stand outside Costco for 15 min, boy that's a place that is busy, full of weird smells and lots of people to pet puppy and give treats. Going to get your tires rotated? Take puppy! There are so many places you can safely take them and either carry, put them in a cart or allow them to walk to learn about strange places, strange people, strange things, strange smells all these things help them learn about their place in the world.

6.  Lifestyle! If you love to have parties and have guests over, don't stop on Puppy's account! Get them used to that world from Day 2 (Day 1 will be stressful enough ;) and imagine one day having a 60-80lbs dog, so how do you want your pup to react to these situations? No jumping? Start that now. To wait in crate while you greet? Start that now. Etc. Start those behaviors now, cause trying to break them later is next to impossible. Now, if you don't often have guests over, while puppy is in the first year with you, break out of your bubble and have people over on random occasions so they learn the appropriate behavior, cause there will come a time when someone does come to visit and if Pup has never seen this at age 4 you may discover they don't know how to react so their reaction could be non-desirable.

Hope this helps to get you started thinking about pups and you are ready to rock and roll in just about 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment